SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) integration is a powerful feature offered by SPOTIO that allows users to seamlessly transfer files to and from their SPOTIO account externally. This feature is particularly beneficial for businesses that require large-scale data imports and exports on a regular basis. With SFTP integration, users can efficiently manage data, automate exports at specific intervals, and streamline the process of migrating territories from external sources.
- Saves time with a more direct method to send and receive data to and from your SPOTIO account.
- Allows for better consistency by automating FTP exports to occur in specific intervals (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)
- Makes it easier to migrate territories from external sources by allowing KML files to be imported in as new territories
Accessing SPOTIO SFTP
To get started, you need to access SPOTIO's SFTP server. The address you should use is: ftps://ftp.spotio2.com. This address ensures a secure connection for transferring your files.
Once you have the SFTP address, you'll need login credentials to authenticate yourself on the server. SPOTIO provides these credentials through a secure channel, and you can request these credentials by contacting our Support or CX teams. You will receive a username and password, which you must use to log in to the SFTP server.
FTP Client Setup
Once you receive your credentials the next step is to enter those credentials into a File Transfering Software client. A download to a free open-source software that can be used for this can be found here.
SPOTIO organizes the import process into folders to make it more manageable. Depending on the mode you're using (classic or flexible), the import structure differs slightly:
- Classic mode - you can import leads using the /Leads/Import/ folder.
- Flexible mode - you can import any data object type defined in the Workflow using the /DataObjects/Import folder.
Within these import folders, SPOTIO further divides the process into subfolders:
- New Folder: This is where you place new files that you want to import into SPOTIO.
- Success Folder: After processing, successful files are moved to this folder so you can review them later.
- Failed Folder: If any files fail during processing, they are moved to this folder, and you can access error reports for further analysis.
Formatting your Data for Import
Prior to importing your data, you will need to ensure that it is properly formatted. You can download a template with the appropriate header rows for your import from your SPOTIO account under Settings > Import Data.
- In Classic mode, you can simply click “download template”
- In Flexible mode, you will choose the data object first and then click “download template”
It is important that your data is formatted for the input type of the field that will receive it. For example - text values in a field formatted for number inputs will result in errors upon import. For guidelines on how to format your data prior to importing check out our article here.
Flexible Mode and File Naming
In flexible mode, you can only import one data object type in a file. To identify which data object type is being imported, follow this file naming convention:
Flexible Mode and Relating Data Objects via Import
In flexible mode, you can relate child objects to their parent object by providing an identifier for the parent object in the “RelatedTo” column on the import template.
- You can insert the SPOTIO RecordID of the parent into the “RelatedTo” column for the child object you would like to relate to the parent in SPOTIO
- To get this ID, you can export SPOTIO records that you would like to relate child objects to.
- For example – If you want to relate Contacts to Accounts, you can export the Accounts you want to add Contacts to, and include the RecordID for the account from the exported file in the “RelatedTo” column on the Contacts import file
- The relationship will be created when the child object is successfully imported
You can import territories using the /Territories folder.
If you are importing territories into SPOTIO, there are specific guidelines to follow:
- SPOTIO automatically adds new territories when you upload KML files with new territory titles.
- If the territory name and title in the KML file are the same, the territory is updated with new shapes.
- SPOTIO supports only simple polygon KML imports for territories.
- The title of a polygon in the KML structure becomes the name of the territory.
- Make sure to have prefixes like "01," "02," "03," etc., indicating the hierarchy levels of territories to ensure the proper order of processing.
Large Files and Processing
SPOTIO automatically splits large files into 10,000 data object packages during import. It is recommended to start with smaller files to ensure that the import mechanism works correctly. The files are processed at an interval of one hour, so expect a maximum one-hour delay for file processing.
SPOTIO also offers additional features to enhance the import process:
- Support for Zip Files: You can upload and import files in ZIP format, making it more convenient to transfer multiple files together.
- Export Functionality: SPOTIO allows you to export data objects on a daily or weekly basis, based on your specific requests.
Using External Identifiers
SPOTIO provides an extra option for enterprise companies to use their own identifiers for addresses (pins) and data objects. This involves adding an extra column in the CSV file during the import process:
- ExternalLeadId: To identify leads in Classic mode.
- ExternalDataObjectId: To identify data objects in Flexible mode.
- ExternalPinId: To identify addresses (pins) and ensure all data objects are attached to the same pin if the address on the customer side is the same.
When you use these external IDs, they take precedence over other rules SPOTIO uses for matching data. This allows you to customize and maintain consistency in your data management.
Now that you understand the process of uploading files over SFTP to SPOTIO, you can efficiently manage your data objects, territories, and leads. Whether you're in classic mode or flexible mode, SPOTIO's SFTP import system ensures secure and reliable data transfers for your business needs. Happy importing!