Do you have specific data that you would like to view in SPOTIO? Whether you have a list of customers you want your Sales Reps to be able to see and upsell, or you just want to bulk update information on a bunch of existing pins, SPOTIO's importing tools are here to help you map your data where it needs to go!
Q: Who can import leads to SPOTIO?
A: Any user with the Account Admin permission level can import records into SPOTIO.
Before you begin importing data into SPOTIO, you'll need to make sure your SPOTIO account is set up for the import. To import leads into SPOTIO you'll need to:
- You will need to have Account Admin permissions to import Leads.
- Make sure you have fields set up in SPOTIO to map the data from your file.
- Make sure you have not exceeded your monthly limit for Geocoding leads.
STEP 1 - Check Import Limits
When you want to import leads, the first step is checking to make sure you won't exceed your limits by navigating to Settings>Import Leads. On this page, you can see the maximum number of leads you can import and Geocode per day and month, as well as when your limits reset.
Q: What is Geocoding?
A: Geocoding is the process of converting address information to geographic coordinates so that it can be displayed on the map. In order to geocode leads, you will need to provide the full address or the geographic coordinates in latitude and longitude.
Q: What if I don't have the address?
A: Leads imported without an address are still viewable in SPOTIO from the Pipeline (Web) and List (Mobile) views, but since they have no address information they are unable to be displayed on the map. Leads imported without an address do not count toward your daily/monthly geocoding limits.
STEP 2 - Format your SPOTIO Account
Before importing your data, you will need to ensure you've set up SPOTIO fields to receive the data you are importing. By default, SPOTIO has fields for Address Information and Contact information. You can see what fields are available in SPOTIO by downloading the import template.
When you open the CSV template, you will see all of the fields available to map data in the header row. If there is not a column for the data you are looking to import, you can create a custom field for that data to be imported. If you will be importing using the Basic Importing tool, you can then re-download the CSV template. If you will be using the Advanced importing tool, you can choose which fields in SPOTIO to map your data to during the "Match columns to SPOTIO fields" step.
STEP 3 - Format your .csv, .xls, or .xlsx file
Before you import your data, you'll need to make sure that your data is formatted properly. Pay attention to the following formatting guidelines:
- In order to Geocode your leads, you'll need to provide the full address for the lead you'd like to import: House #, City, Zip/Postcode, State, Country, Unit/Suite/Flat #
- Multi Choice field values must be separated with a comma
- For a complete list of formatting guidelines, check out our article on How to Format your Import Template
Step 4 - Download your .csv, .xls, or .xlsx file
Importing your Data
You can choose between the Advanced and Basic importing tools using the dropdown menu next to Import Leads at the top lefthand corner of the page.
Advanced Importing Tool
The Advanced Importing tool allows you to pull in any .csv, .xls, or .xlsx file and match the columns in your file to fields in SPOTIO. Fields that exactly match will be automatically mapped, and you can manually map columns to their proper fields in SPOTIO.
Step 1 - Drag and drop your file into the Advanced importing tool
Step 2 - Match Columns to SPOTIO fields
During Step 2, SPOTIO will automatically detect fields in your file that match with fields in SPOTIO and map the data to those fields. Fields that do not exactly match the fields in SPOTIO can be manually mapped by clicking ‘Review Column Titles’.
Select which SPOTIO field you would like your data to map to from the dropdown menu under each field, or choose to exclude the data in that column from the import by hitting the Exclude button under each column. You can check "show all columns" at the bottom to see which columns in your import file have been mapped to each SPOTIO field.
Step 3 - Review Errors
During Step 3, SPOTIO will check your uploaded file for errors. If any errors are found, you have the option to remove the records with errors from the import and continue or cancel the import, reformat your file and begin the process again.
Step 4 - Review Duplicates
During Step 4, SPOTIO will review your uploaded file for duplicates. When duplicates are found you have the option to update existing leads with data from your import, create new leads (which will create a duplicate pin for each duplicate record in your import file), or remove duplicates from the import.
Step 5 - Final Review
During the Final Review Step, SPOTIO recreates the spreadsheet we are importing for review. This allows you to check what fields your columns are mapped to before importing. When you click "Import All Leads", your import file will be added to the queue and imported to SPOTIO.
Step 6 - Import
Step 6 shows the progress of your import. During the Import step, you can navigate away from the page while your leads import, and the import will process in the background.
Basic Importing Tool
The Basic Importing tool allows you to download the appropriate header rows for your import and manually match the data you are importing to the SPOTIO fields in an external spreadsheet. If you prefer to format your data in a spreadsheet prior to import, this is the tool for you!
Getting Started - Toggle to the Basic Importing Tool
You can click the dropdown next to Import Leads to choose between the Advanced and Basic importing tools.
Step 1 - Download the CSV Template
Click Download Template, and manually match your information with the corresponding SPOTIO fields in the header row of this .csv file in an external spreadsheet. Making changes to the header row will result in importing errors, so make sure your SPOTIO account is formatted to receive your import prior to beginning the import process.
Step 2 - Upload your .csv file
Drag and drop your formatted .csv, .xls, or .xlsx file into SPOTIO or click the box in step 2 to browse for the file.
- Once uploaded you will have the option to Override leads information. When you check the box, any records in SPOTIO that match the address from your file will be overwritten with information from your uploaded file.
- If there are errors with your import (e.g. you have field values in your file that do not match the field values in SPOTIO) you can download an error file and manually fix any errors in an external spreadsheet.
- The error file will be an exact copy of your uploaded file, with an additional column containing error messages.
- Prior to re-importing your file, you will need to remove the Error column from the file.
Step 3 - Import Your Data
Once you are sure your file is properly formatted and free from errors, click "Start Import" to add your file to the queue and import your records to SPOTIO.
Once you click "Start Import" you will see a few options:
- Imported - The file has been successfully imported and you will see leads adding to the account.
- Not imported - There is an error with the file, and you will be able to download the Error import file.
- Waiting - The system is waiting for the Admin to click "Start Import"
- Deleted - Leads in this file will be deleted and removed from the account. VERY IMPORTANT!!! -- If these leads have been updated since the import they will still be deleted from the account and we are unable to recover this data.
You can reverse an import by deleting an import from the history. Please Note: This will delete all of the leads on that import from SPOTIO, so DON'T DO THIS if you were using the import tool to update existing leads or if the Leads have been updated in SPOTIO since the date of the import. Once deleted, we are unable to recover this data. So make sure you back up your SPOTIO records by exporting them from the Pipeline BEFORE deleting an import.